Rookie Baseball is for those entering 2nd and 3rd grade for the next school year. Third graders will be allowed to pitch during the last four weeks of the season. Players are allowed to slide, but not to steal. Within the constraints of safety, coaches are required to have all players play infield and outfield positions during the course of a game. An inning consists of 5 runs or 3 outs.
Week of April 4th- Week of April 18th: practice only
Week of April 25th- Week of May 23rd: games begin
Week of May 30th- Mid-Season Break
Week of June 6th- Week of June 13th: games continued
Rookie baseball and softball is recommended for players who have mastered the following skills:
- Catch a ball thrown to them from approximately 10 feet without fear of the ball.
- Hold and swing a bat properly without being afraid of the ball being pitched to them.
- Play an infield position and be aware of where the ball is at all times.
- Understand the order to run bases and that they must be on base in order to be safe from being tagged out and basic rules of the game (i.e., safe/out).
- Be able to consistently swing and make contact with a ball from the tee without hitting the tee itself.
- Be able to stop, or at least be able to protect themselves with their glove from, a batted and/or thrown ball while positioned at one of the infield positions.
Did you know that NLCBS provides scholarships for youth to participate, we firmly believe everyone gets to play.
Funds for scholarships are provided through local sponsorship and donations from participants just like you, every dollar helps! If you would like to make a tax deductible financial contribution please contact firstname.lastname@example.org today!